Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 25, 2009

A LETTER TO THE PAROLE BOARD

July 25, 2009

Adult Parole Authority
Ms. Cynthia B. Mausser, Chair
770 West Broad St.
Columbus, Ohio 43222

RE: Martin Kilbane (148299) and Owen Kilbane (148329)

Dear Ms. Mausser and Parole Board Members,

Having been active in the Irish community in northeast Ohio over the years, I have always been aware of who Martin and Owen Kilbane were. Being a published writer, I have a natural curiosity about people and places. Being semi-retired this year, and having a bit more “free time”, I took it upon myself to find out more about the brothers. And, as I suspected, they have roots in County Mayo, Ireland, as I do.

I undertook the idea to meet them personally and have done so on more than one occasion. They are two men who have been incarcerated for thirty years for involvement in horrendous crimes in their youth. I discovered they are two men who are now spiritually-connected, and obviously not the same brash and misdirected men they were thirty years ago.

What is amazing about their story is the fact that everybody else associated with the crimes are walking free today. Well, Judge Robert Steele, died in prison. One triggerman, who murdered two people, was even given a new identity in government witness protection. He is out and about while Owen and Martin languish.

These model prisoners have both obtained college degrees. Sons of an alcoholic and absent father, they were never connected to their ethnic roots. Now, however, both are pursuing that discovery with great vigor. They attend Catholic Mass and are now members of the Medina-county based Irish Brigade Division of the Ancient Order of Hibernians in America, an Irish and Catholic fraternal Order. They are now also members of the Mayo Society of Greater Cleveland.

Martin and Owen are now relatively old men. I say that even though they are younger than me. Please consider releasing them to their families and loved ones to allow them to spend their few remaining years outside Grafton’s walls.

Thank you for your consideration of my request.

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment